Here you will find simple letter templates which can be adapted to suit your circumstances. You may wish to use one of our corresponding factsheets to accompany your letter.
If you receive a response from your school and would like help with sending a more detailed follow-up letter, please contact us.
- One of our supporters sent us the letter that she wrote to her child’s secondary school asking them to stop using the ‘genderbread person’ as a resource for teaching and learning. She has agreed to share it for the benefit of other parents.
The school have removed the resource.
- One of our supporters sent us the letter that she wrote to her daughter’s secondary school after she found that some of the toilets had been made mixed-sex. We have reproduced it here with her permission to help other parents write their own letters.
- In the light of the news that numerous local councils have withdrawn their ‘trans’ guidance for schools, we are encouraging parents and carers to look at their own county council’s trans policies, check them against our Equality and Diversity ‘Red Flags’ factsheet, and contact their Local Education Authority if they are concerned.
- Check whether your/your child’s school or local authority correctly refers to ‘sex’ as a protected characteristic in their Equality Policy (usually found on the school or local authority website). If not, contact them requesting that they replace all erroneous references to ‘gender’ with the correct characteristic ‘sex’.
- Enquire what topics are being taught in Relationship and Sex Education (RSE) or Personal Social Health Education (PSHE) and how they are delivered.
- Enquire what your/your child’s school are doing to tackle sexism in secondary schools, as highlighted by the recent NEU and UK Feminista study. We recommend sending our Sexism In Secondary Schools factsheet with this letter.
- Enquire whether your/your child’s school has received training or based policies or information from external providers in relation to Equality and Diversity, Inclusivity, Safeguarding, Gender, or RSE.
- Request information regarding the provision of single-sex facilities within school. We recommend sending our Single-Sex Toilets/Changing Facilities factsheet with this letter.
- Request information regarding the provision of single-sex facilities on residential trips. We recommend sending our Single-Sex Toilets/Changing Facilities factsheet with this letter.
- Write to the Crown Prosecution Service about the updated guidance for schools on LGBT+ Bullying and Hate Crime which they released on the 21/1/20
*UPDATE* The CPS guidance has been withdrawn. We are leaving this letter here for reference, as we’re yet to see what it will be replaced with.
- Write to your MP to express concerns about the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s leaked draft guidance to schools regarding transgender pupils with this letter template.